I am collector by nature. I love groupings, assortments and clusters. Whether it’s design books, succulents or beautifully displayed jewelry, assembling a collection is a great way to express your style.
Here are some tips on creating varied collections that look pulled-together, natural and effortless.
1. Embrace imperfection. Mix sizes, split up pairs and let your collection have a bit of randomness. Display pieces at different angles and leave space and blank spots in the collection.
2. Create the unexpected. Nothing draws attention as much as something surprising. By elevating ordinary items in a creative way, we create a fun and eccentric style. Play with bold colors and varied patterns.
3. Make it accessible. Don’t make the collection too precious. Scatter a few groupings outside the case or set apart a bit from the main collection. It gives a more causal feel to it.
4. Give it height. When assembling groupings try to create a varied horizon line. Think of the highs and lows of a cityscape and juxtapose tall and short pieces to give it a varied look.
5. Opposites attract. Collect objects that have opposite qualities. Rough and smooth, angular and shapely, light and dark. This adds depth and richness to your collection.
6. Maximum exposure. Mount the collection on the wall at eye level, display it on a mantel or create the perfect lighting to best highlight it.
7. Grow it over time. Take time to collect. The best collections are built over time, letting each piece tell a story.